Welcome to Year 1, Week 46, Lesson 1.46.3. Today we will work on your English listening, conversation and reading skills. We begin with a dialogue-related Conversation Topic for English Learners to help with listening and reading comprehension. Then, we continue with Dialogue 24 from our English course, American English Conversations 3. Designed for beginners, each dialogue helps English Learners improve their comprehension and communication skills. You’re encouraged to read along and pronounce together with the video below. Once you finish, don’t forget to share what you’ve learned via the comments section below.
Part 1: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again.
Hi English Learners. Do you like going to movie theaters? One thing about movie theaters is that they’re usually crowded and you can’t easily find the seats you want. Sometimes people disrupt the fun of movie watching by talking or checking their phones during a movie. What are your favorite things about movie theaters? What are your pet peeves about movie theaters? Imagine different conversations in English at a crowded movie theater. What would you say? What would others say to you? Here are some suggestions:
— You are at a crowded movie theater and you want to buy popcorn and drinks. You wait in line and then it’s your turn to purchase refreshments and popcorn. What would you say?
— You’re trying to get to an empty seat but there are several people already sitting down. What would you say?
— You’re trying to watch a movie but the person next to you fell asleep and is snoring, what would you do or say to solve this problem?
Think about different conversations you can have in English at a movie theater. Think about what movies you’d like to watch at a movie theater and what you would say about them.
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogue below in English, then translate it and read it in your primary language.
Dialog 24: A Night At The Theater
- Shannon: What a fantastic performance! Thank you for inviting me to the musical.
- Elena: You are welcome. I’m happy you enjoyed the show. The choreography of the dancers was incredible. It reminds me of when I used to dance.
- Shannon: I know! You were such a talented ballerina. Do you miss dancing?
- Elena: Oh, that’s very kind of you, Shannon. I do miss it sometimes. But I will always be a fan of the arts. That’s why I love going to musicals because it’s the perfect combination of song, dance, and theater.
- Shannon: Absolutely! I’m glad you are still an art fan too. Thank you for the invitation. It’s always a pleasure to attend an arts event with you and learn something new.
PART 3 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.