Welcome to Year 1, Week 6, Lesson 1.6.3. Today we will work on your English conversation and reading skills. We begin dialogues 16-18 from our English course, American English Conversations 1. Designed for beginners, these dialogues help English Learners improve their comprehension and communication skills. You’re encouraged to read along and pronounce together with the video below. Once you finish, don’t forget to share what you’ve learned via the comments section below.
PART 1 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogues below in English, then translate them and read them in your primary language.
Dialog 16: Coincidences
- Allen: Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?
- Julia: No, I don’t think so.
- Allen: But your face is so familiar. Wait a second… I know… We were on the same flight to New York last month.
- Julia: Oh, yes. Now I remember. What a coincidence to meet in San Francisco!
- Allen: Well, you know what they say—it’s a small world.
Dialog 17: Safety
- Peter: There’s the shoe store we’ve been looking for. It’s just across the street.
- Gail: Wait! You can’t cross the street in the middle of the block! You have to cross at the corner.
- Peter: Oh, come on. Let’s go across here. (Sound of car screeching)
- Gail: Look out! You nearly got hit by that car! Now do you see why you should cross at the corner?
- Peter: I guess you’re right. I’ll be more careful after this.
Dialog 18: Musical Instruments
(Sound of piano playing)
- Anne: Listen! Somebody’s playing the piano.
- Betty: Yeah, it sounds nice, doesn’t it? I wish I could play a musical instrument.
- Anne: Don’t you play the violin?
- Betty: No, but my sister does. Actually, she’s pretty good at it.
- Anne: I took flute lessons for a couple of years, but I never learned to play very well. I guess I don’t have any musical talent.
- Betty: Oh, that’s not true. You sing very well. I can’t even do that!
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.