Welcome to Year 1, Week 13, Lesson 1.13.3. Today we will work on your English conversation and reading skills. We begin dialogues 7-9 from our English course, American English Conversations 2. Designed for beginners, these dialogues help English Learners improve their comprehension and communication skills. You’re encouraged to read along and pronounce together with the video below. Once you finish, don’t forget to share what you’ve learned via the comments section below.
PART 1 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogues below in English, then translate them and read them in your primary language.
Dialogue 7 – Ordering Breakfast
- Waitress: Would you like to order now?
- Phil: Yes. I’d like bacon and eggs with buttered toast. No jelly.
- Waitress: What would you like to drink?
- Phil: Do you have hot chocolate?
- Waitress: Yes, we do.
- Phil: Then, I’ll have a cup of hot chocolate.
- Waitress: How do you want your eggs?
- Phil: Over easy, please.
Dialogue 8 – Near Accident
- Quinn: How about that!
- Kerwin: What? What happened?
- Quinn: Did you see what that guy did?
- Kerwin: No, I was looking the other way.
- Quinn: He made a U-turn right in the middle of the block and almost hit a kid on a bicycle.
- Kerwin: Drivers get crazier every day!
- Quinn: Right. Nobody wants to drive by the rules anymore!
Dialogue 9 – Arrival Time
- Pat: What time does Mother’s plane get in?
- Cliff: I’m not sure, but I think at 2:35. I’ll call the airline to make sure.
- Pat: Why don’t you do that while I change my clothes?
- Cliff: Do you think Dick or Brenda will want to go?
- Pat: I don’t know. I guess we could call them.
- Cliff: I know Dick has to work, but maybe Brenda can go.
- Pat: Okay. Call her first, then the airlines.
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.
Part 3 DIRECTIONS: Take the Year 1 Quarter 1 American English Reading Review Test below. When you finish, let us know your score in the comments section below.
Part 4 DIRECTIONS: Take the optional Year 1 Quarter 1 American English Reading EXAM (– includes Certificate – enter your full name and email address) below. When you finish, let us know your quiz score in the comments section below.