Welcome to Year 1, Week 37, Lesson 1.37.3. Today we will work on your English listening, conversation and reading skills. We begin with a dialogue-related Conversation Topic for English Learners to help with listening and reading comprehension. Then, we continue with Dialogue 15 from our English course, American English Conversations 3. Designed for beginners, each dialogue helps English Learners improve their comprehension and communication skills. You’re encouraged to read along and pronounce together with the video below. Once you finish, don’t forget to share what you’ve learned via the comments section below.
Part 1: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again.
Hello students. Today’s conversation topic is “Running Errands”. When you have specific tasks to do for yourself or others, you are running errands. What would you say and do if you were to run some errands? Here are a few suggestions.
— Your boss calls you and asks you to pick up coffee from Starbucks and bring it to the office right away. What would you say to your boss? What would your boss say to you?
— Your sister called and asked you to pick up her wedding dress from the dry cleaners. What would you say to your sister? What would your sister tell you?
— You need to get your car fixed before you go on vacation. What would you say to the mechanic? What would the mechanic tell you?
It is quite common to be running errands for yourself and others everywhere in the world. Do you run many errands on a regular basis?
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogue below in English, then translate it and read it in your primary language.
Dialog 15: Running Errands
- Hotel Receptionist: Hi, there. How can I help you?
- Claire: Well, I’m in town visiting for a few days, and I need to get some things done while I’m here.
- Hotel Receptionist: Sure. What do you need?
- Claire: I need to get my hair cut. I also need to have my new pants hemmed.
- Hotel Receptionist: OK. Here’s a map of the city. There’s a good hair salon here, which is a block away. And there’s a tailor right here. Is there anything else?
- Claire: Yes. I’ll need to have my car serviced before my long drive home!
- Hotel Receptionist: No problem. There’s a good mechanic a few blocks away.
PART 3 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.