Welcome to Year 1, Week 5, Lesson 1.5.2. Today we will work on your English listening and reading comprehension via 3 of our Conversation Topics for English Learners activities.
Part 1: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again.
Many people say the most important thing you can have is good health. You can have all the money in the world, but if you have poor health you’d prefer being healthy over being rich. Imagine participating in different conversations in English revolving around the topic of health. What would you say? What would others say to you? Here are some suggestions:
— You’ve been feeling some stomach pain lately and are in the middle of a phone call with your doctor’s office. What would you tell the nurse? What would the nurse tell you?
— It’s been a year since you last had your yearly physical exam with your primary doctor. You’re now in front of your doctor, and he’s asking you questions. What would you tell your doctor? What would your doctor ask you?
— You watch a television commercial about vitamins that help give you more energy. Imagine discussing these vitamins with your family. What would you say to your family? What would your family say to you?
Being able to have a conversation about your health in the English Language is an important skill. Make sure you think about your health and practice speaking about it in English with others.
Part 2: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again.
Many people are avid fans of sports. Whether you love Cricket in India, football in the United States of America, or hockey in Canada, you’re considered a sports fan. You don’t have to be a sports fan to participate in conversations in English about sports. Imagine what would you talk about in English with other English speakers on the subject of sports. Here are a few suggestions:
— You are at a basketball game and you want to know which teams are playing. What would you ask the person next to you? How would that person respond?
— You’re at a park and your friends are playing baseball. They need one extra player and ask you to play. What would you ask your friends? What would they tell you?
— You’re at home watching the Olympics with some friends. What would you talk about?
While not everyone may be a big fan of sports, it’s always helpful to be prepared to speak in English about the sports you enjoy or find interesting.
Part 3: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again. Finally, add a comment about what you learned from Parts 1, 2, and 3 in the comments section below.
Asking for directions when you’re lost or unsure of your location is something you need to do in any language. Imagine you are in the United States and you have to communicate in the English language. How would you ask for directions? How would others respond? Here are some suggestions:
— You’re driving on a highway but you’re not sure if it’s the right one that leads to your destination. You stop at a gas station and ask the attendant. What would you say? What would the gas station attendant say?
— You’re walking down a busy street and want to know where the bus station is. You stop a person walking in front of you and ask. What would you ask? What would that person say?
— You’re at a train station and need to find the train that goes to San Francisco at 9:00 AM. You stop by the ticket office and ask for help. What would you ask? What would the ticketing agent say?
Don’t be shy when asking for directions. It’s better to know where you’re going than be lost and not know what to do.
33 thoughts on “Lesson 1.5.2 – American English Lessons with Maestro Sersea”
Part 2. Sports.
At a basketball game:
– The team wearing in red is Chicago Bulls?
– Yes, of course, they are the players.
– Okay, thanks.
At a park:
– Hey! Nelson. Would you want to joint? We need one extra player.
– Okay! Let’s play.
– Come in!
– What games our country has opportunity to take gold medals?
– Well, the question is if we have some opportunity.
– Is it a joke? We ha opportunity in Boxing, in swimming, and others.
– Yes, it’s a joke.
Part 3. Asking for Directions.
At a gas station:
– Excuse me.
– May I help you.
– Yes please, I go to the downtown, is that the right way?
– Sure, that it is.
– Thank you.
On a street:
– Excuse me. May you help me?
– Of course. What would you need?
– Where’s the bus station?
– Go straight ahead for two blocks and the bus station is crossing the street.
– Thank you so much.
– You’re welcome!
At a train station:
– Good morning.
– May I help you?
– Please, could you say me where do I find the train goes to San Francisco at 9?
– Yes, it’s at C gate.
– Thank you.
– You’re welcome!
Thanks a lot.
Great job here, Nelson. I’m glad you’re letting your imagination take over and create new dialogues in English!
🙂 Maestro Sersea
Every time I meet my friend and after greeting each other we used to ask for health because there is nothing more precious than the health, even the money can’t buy good heath. I hope good wealth for everyone.
when I encounter my friends we always bring up some daily life subjects such as shopping, go out on vacation, sports, travel, etc..
these conversatios would enrich my knowledge and improve my speaking and communication skills.
practicing conversation with people help me to know how to ask in English, when I was lost, for places or directions where I’m going.
thank you so much
It’s good that you’re inspired to answer the conversation topics questions and thinking about each topic.
Well done. 🙂
I am happy that we reach another level og our study! Now I can make a dialogue for at least more than 5 min.
Thank you so much
The first dialog is about health and its important things for us in life. It’s definitely important to be healthy even you are rich or not.
The second dialog is about sports that I did as a soccer player and coach for about 35 years like the pro.
Sports give you physical and mentally healthy to living excellently juicy. Both dialog 1 and 2 related together because the sport that you practically do, gives it to you as best healthy too.
The third dialog is about the direction and how we can find a destination if we are in some situation that with don’t know there. How we can ask people and I think today it is easy to find it by the internet. Google Maps or some Apps then can find any distenation.
Hadi, thank you for doing this. Try to write shorter sentences for more clarity. 🙂
Hi, this is Wilber from Nicaragua.
I agree with the idea that health is one of the most important things we have.
If we are in good health we can work and get money to enjoy it with our family; We can enjoy a delicious meal with family and friends; We can enjoy a trip to nearby places Or we can travel to other cities. Unless we have good health We won’t be able to fully enjoy all the beautiful things that life has for us. This is why it’s very important to take care of what we eat; the exercise that we do and how many hours we do rest.
Talking on sports:
I am not a fan when it comes to sports. However I understand that sometimes we need to be prepared to talk about different topics with different people. So, when I have to meet with a person who loves sports I would read or watch sports news on TV beforehand. In this way I have enough information, at least for starting a conversation.
Asking for directions:
I have been lost several times in the past. Since I have normally worked outside my city (in six different cities), most of the time I am asking for directions. The most common questions that I asked are: Do you know how to get X place?; Is that a safe place?; Is there a store nearby; Do you know how much the ticket costs? (Even though in my country most of the transportation services don’t give you a ticket; You pay the cost for the transportation directly to a guy called “the helper” Which can help you with your suitcases or bags; and helps the people to get on and get off the bus or van (no trains in my country).
I am sorry; I think I typed too much
Good use of details here, Wilber. I’m glad you’re learning and summarizing. 🙂
-Sorry i have stomach ache.Is there a free term with a doctor to day to come for an examitation?
Yes od course you have frre term at 11:30 a.m.
Thank you very much.
-Good morning.I come to do it yearly physical exam.
Ok.Have you had any health problems during the year?
No i didn’t, actually just a litlle cold.
-Look this is a great vitamins complex for immunity and energy.We have to buy them.Yes we will buy them.
-Sorry which teams are playing?
Serbia end Italy are playing.
-Hi Danijela.Do you want join with us playing basball ?
Yes it’s great idea but i’m not good player like you.
It doesn’t matter maybe you have a hidden talent.Let’s playing.
-Great night we watching Olimpics and injoying.
We watching athletics.
-Please i need help.I’m not sure is this highway leads to Los Angeles?
Yes, just keep driwing.
Thank you very much.
-Sorry where is the bus station?
Just go straight down the street after frst intersection there is bus station.
Thank you very much.
-Sory.From wich platform the train for the San Francisko departs 9 e.m.?
The train departs from platform 3.
Thank you for good lesson.
Great job here. Here are a few corrections: “is there an opening to see the doctor?”, …”complex vitamins”, “Serbia and Italy”, “driving”, “from which platform does the train for San Francisco depart at 9 a.m.?”
I saw where i made mistakes.
Thank you very much Maestro Sersea.
You are very welcome, Danijela. 🙂
-I have a terrible stomach ache. I feel very bad. I would like to make a appointment to see the doctor, please.
-I have an opening at 2.30 this afternoon.
-We ‘ll see very soon. Thank you! Goodbye!
-Hello, I come to do it yearly physical exam.
– Ok, I only recommendating you to take D vitamin for essential for your health.
-When should I come back for another visit.
-Contact you with the information ‘s office.
-Which teams are playing?
-Albania and italia are playing.
– You’re welcome.
-We need one extra player do you want to playing.
– Ok but I ‘m not a good player.
3. We are watching the Olympics . Great night .
1. -Can you help me?
-Yes, I can. I want to arrival in Los angleles. Is this highway leads to Los Angeles.
-Yes, yuo are ok.
2. I’m sorry, where is the bus station?
– You are welcome.
3. I‘m sorry. I need to find the train that goes to San Francisco at 9:00 AM
You have to go to platform 3.
Thank you very much!
Great creativity, Eta. 🙂
Thank you SO MUCH!
You’re welcome, Eta. 🙂
Part 1. Health
I) I’ve certaily had a stomachache lately. What could you recommend me
Well, first of all, I’m going to give you an appoinment with your doctor. Then he will tell you what to do.
II) Hi Nelson, nice to see you again. Tell me, how have you felt this last year.
Hello doctor, I’ve generally been feeling fine. I just have felt an stomach pain lately
III) It’s good to take vitamins to have more energy. That’s true but not in all cases. If people are healthy, they just need an adecuated diet. Vitamins supplements are needed when somebody suffer some disorders such as anemia and have a poor diet, but ultimately it is best to see the doctor
Part 2. Sport
I) At the basketball game
-Oh, I find this game very interesting. What teams are playing?
– Minessota vs New york.
– which team is winning?
– New York with 104 points over Minessota that has 102. The game has been very exciting.
II) At the park.
– Hi, brother. Would you like to play with us. We need anothe player
– ummm, ok. But give me 5 minutes; I have to warm up my body, first.
III) Watching the Olympics games.
– These olympics are very exciting and competitived, it isn’t?
– Yes, that’s true. Especially baseball and gymnastic.
Part 3. Asking for directions.
– Please, excuse me. I’m going to Yellowstone Park but I’m not sure which is the way. Could you help me please?
Yes, of course I could. You follow the highway, then approximately 54 km ahead, you’ll find a sign indicating the yellowstone park directions. You must take that route and will arrive to the park without any problem
II) Looking for the bus station.
-Excuse me Sir, could you help me, please. Where is the bus station. I’m going to the Central Park.
– sure. You go ahead, when arrive to the japanese restaurant turn on the right. You wiil find the bus station in two blocks
III) excuse me, I’m going to San Francisco, where can I buy the ticket please?
Good job, Nelson! 🙂
Hello, Maestro Sersea!
I’m Luis Fernando, from Alajuela, Costa Rica.
I’m trying to take maximum advantage of this excellent course. By imagining the situations suggested on your videos I workout my brain using new words and expressions which I learn on your course and from other means.
This is my work about Lesson 1.5.2 Part 1.
– Good morning! Is that doctor Andrews’s office?
– Yes, I am Mrs. Wilson, his nurse. Who am I talking with?
– I am Mr. Smith!
– Good morning, Mr. Smith. What can I do for you?
– I need to have an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow afternoon; is that possible?
– Let me see…Oh, yes! we have two spaces for tomorrow afternoon, at three and at five thirty. Would you like one of them?
– Yes; I prefer the last, at five thirty; could you reserve it for me, please?
– Of course Mr. Smith. What kind of issue do you have?
– I have a hard stomach pain.
– Is the pain recent?
– Yes, lately I’ve been feeling it. The pain begun the day before yesterday and has been increasing. Today is almost unbearable and I need the doctor to check it.
– Ok, Mr. Smith; I’m registering your appointment; we need you to get fifteen minutes before your turn tomorrow, please.
– Well, Mrs. Wilson; see you then. Goodbye, thank you!
– Bye, Mr. Smith!
– Good morning, Mr. Smith; long time to see you!
– Yes, one year already, doctor Andrew.
– What’ve you been doing?
– I’ve been working hard, making workout, playing some sports, and enjoying my family. We kept ourselves a year locked in our house because the pandemic, but now we are vaccinated, so we are daring to go out with more confidence.
– What about your health; have you felt well lately?
– I think so, although I need you to check me. Two days ago I stumbled and fell down on the sidewalk; I received a big hit that made me feel I was going to get faint. I stood sit for a moment; then, when I felt better I stood up and walked to my house. Nobody helped me because I was walking zigzagging by the sidewalk; I’m sure the people thought I was drunk.
– Well, how do you feel due to the hit?
– I feel better; the pain is decreasing, but I need you to review my arm;
I wouldn’t like to realize afterwards it is broken.
– Ok. Let’s start checking!
– What do you think about those vitamins, Charlie?
– I don’t know… maybe they are good for some people, but I prefer to eat good food and by that way get the best vitamins. I don’t like to swallow pills. I like eat vegetables, fruits and meat and my body get grateful for the vitamins received. I do much workout to complete my nutrition.
– Ok, but doing exercises is very tired.
– Yes, but it is very healthy; your muscles grow and you feels better on your daily work.
– You can find good options eating fish, citrus, nuts, chicken, and vegetables in general. Also, you are quite a bit fat, and that´s a good opportunity for you to take advantage to lose weight.
-Ok. I will take on consideration your advice; thank you very much!
– You’re welcome!
I’m glad you’re applying yourself here and adding in your creativity to our assignments. 🙂
1. I Suffer from headache
2. Would you play with us?
3. Is there a gaz station?
It’s a pleasure to have a conversation with others
Good job, Osee. Corrections: gas instead of gaz. 🙂
I’m Verónica Vásquez from Guatemala, I’ll try to answer the questions, I hope do the best I can.
You’ve been feeling some stomach pain lately and are in the middle of a phone call with your doctor’s office. What would you tell the nurse?
– I’ve a stomach pain, I need your help.
What would the nurse tell you?
– Maybe she would tell me take a pill.
— It’s been a year since you last had your yearly physical exam with your primary doctor. You’re now in front of your doctor, and he’s asking you questions. What would you tell your doctor?
– I would tell him all my pain or illnesses that I would have.
What would your doctor ask you?
– He would make me all questions about my health.
— You watch a television commercial about vitamins that help give you more energy. Imagine discussing these vitamins with your family. What would you say to your family?
– I would explain to them how vitamins could help me with my health.
What would your family say to you?
– They would probably tell me to learn more about the vitamin.
— You are at a basketball game and you want to know which teams are playing. What would you ask the person next to you?
– Excuse me, would you tell me which teams are playing and where are they from?.
How would that person respond?
– Maybe, the teams are students of American English Institute.
— You’re at a park and your friends are playing baseball. They need one extra player and ask you to play. What would you ask your friends?
– Can I play with you?
What would they tell you?
– Yes, we need you joing us.
— You’re at home watching the Olympics with some friends. What would you talk about?
– What is your favorite sport?
What country do you think will be the champion?
You’re driving on a highway but you’re not sure if it’s the right one that leads to your destination. You stop at a gas station and ask the attendant. What would you say?
– Excuse me, could you tell me if I am in the correct direction, please?
What would the gas station attendant say?
– of course, you are right.
— You’re walking down a busy street and want to know where the bus station is. You stop a person walking in front of you and ask. What would you ask?
– Excuse me, could you tell me where is the street to the bus station?
What would that person say?
– of course, it is next street.
— You’re at a train station and need to find the train that goes to San Francisco at 9:00 AM. You stop by the ticket office and ask for help. What would you ask?
– Good morning!, could you tell me where I can find the train that goes to San Francisco?
Great work done here, Veronica. I’m glad you’re inspired by our Conversation Topics activities. 🙂
I have some stomach pain since this evening. Can you recommend me some thing until in the morning?
Anyway, I will be to your office tomorrow early in the morning.
Good morning Doctor
How are you?
I am not fine. I ate somme vegetable yesterday in the afternoon. But I ‘am now suffering with stomach pain as I told you last night.
Thank you Doctor
I go straight to the drugstore.
Thank you for responding to the assignment Saa Firmin. 🙂
Thanks for your lesson.
This is the first time to make dialogue. I hope that it will be better next time. Sorry for any mistake.
-Hello. Is this Doctor Zim,s chamber?
-Yes. I am speaking nurse Nancy from chamber.
-Ok. I have been feeling some stomach pain for two hours. I want to meet Doctor immediate.
– Yes. You may come to chamber at once.
-Thanks a lot.
Thank you so much
excuse me, could you tell me where is the post office?
take this road, go down there, turn to the right it is across the hospital.
I completely agree with this statement that having healthy body is more important than having a lot of money.
Today I was learned about three conversations by learning videos. There were about good health, sports and asking for direction. And I was learned some suggestions concerning with each learning video. It is an important skills that I can speak about my health. To be honest, I haven’t considered that to speak about my health in English language. But I still don’t know to speak about health. But I got ideas. For sports conversation, I am not avid fans of cricket, football and hockey. But I have little interested in football. But I also got ideas. Finally, I was learning about asking direction. I don’t be shy when I ask about the direction. Thanks a lot for your learning videos.
Hello! I’m Josaphat. I’m from Madagascar and I enjoy learning english with this online course. In this lesson which contains three sections each consists of différent topics such as Health, sports and then asking directions.
Thé first one say the importance of health in our life by comparing whether health or richness, we also talk about how to talk to our primary doctor of our sickness. Then how to ask for a free term at the doctor office.
The second is about how to ask people which teams are playing, how to respond to someone which invités us to play with.
Finally, we talk about asking direction when we are Lost or unsure of thé way which leads to our destination or to ask for the train which goes to Los Angeles at 09:00 AM.
Thank you very much for this online english course.